Birth Name: Wes Bentley
Birth Date: September 4, 1978
Birth Place: Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA
Seneca Crane was the Head Gamemaker of the 74th Hunger Games who appeared only in the first installment of the trilogy. The Hunger Games are the fight to the death of 24 young men and women from all the 12 districts of Panem, who will be battling against each other in the Capitol arena, for all the world to see. The 74th Hunger Games was already Seneca Crane’s third year as Head Gamemaker.
Seneca Crane is in charge of the team who orchestrated the gameplay, designed the arena and the obstacles, and manipulated the game itself and the players, under the order of President Snow. In the first installment, he was described as light-skinned, with light-blueish-gray eyes, unusually unique beard and well-groomed dark hair.
Although of high position, Seneca is not entirely favored by President Snow since he seemed to not have shared the same intellect and ideals with President Snow. The purpose of the games is to remind Panem of the rebellion of the destroyed district 13 and the action of the Capitol to annihilate the rebels. The games are simply to remind the people that they are powerless against the Capitol and no one has the right nor the gut to stand against them.
This is changed when the star-crossed lover, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark, both from District 12, won the 74th Hunger Games, which is not supposed to happen since the games intend to declare only one victor. Katniss refused to kill Peeta in the final match and instead offered him to commit suicide with her on the live telecast, by swallowing poison berries, they found in the forest. Seneca, out of fear that no victor shall be declared, announced immediately that both Katniss and Peeta will be declared as victors. The general rule “only one left to survive” was not met, because of Seneca Crane’s sudden decision – a decision which he did not ask President Snow about first.
This made President Snow decide to remove Seneca Crane from his position as Head Gamemaker. His decision to let both Katniss and Peeta live signified letting a small act of rebellion win over a Capitol official and this small act may be an example to all districts that like Katniss, they too can stand up and fight the Capitol. As punishment, Seneca Crane was killed by making him swallow the same berries Katniss held in her hands – the same berries Seneca feared would kill the victors. Seneca Crane was no longer seen in Catching Fire and Mockingjay and was replaced by Plutarch Heavensbee, as the new Head Gamemaker.
Famous Lines from the Hunger Games Trilogy
----Hunger Games (2012) ----
"Everyone likes an underdog."
"She earned it."
"And we’re ready."
"I think it's our tradition. It comes out of a particularly painful part of our history... but it's been the way we're able to heal."
Wes Bentley's Movies
- The Best of Enemies - Filming
- Yellowstone - Filming
- Broken Vows (2016) - Patrick
- Pete’s Dragon (2016) - Jack
- We Are Your Friends (2015) - James
- Final Girl (2015) - William
- Knight of Cups (2015) - Barry
- Open (2014) - Evan Foster
- Amnesiac (2014) - Man
- Interstellar (2014) - Doyle
- Welcome to Me (2014) - Gabe Ruskin
- Cesar Chavez (2014) - Jerry Cohen
- After the Fall (2014) - Bill Scanlon
- The Better Angels (2014) - Mr. Crawford
- 3 Nights in the Desert (2014) - Travis
- Pioneer (2013) - Mike
- Lovelace (2013) - Thomas (Photographer)
- Hidden Moon (2012) - Victor Brighton
- The Time Being (2012) - Daniel
- Hirokin: The Last Samurai (2012) - Hirokin
- The Hunger Games (2012) - Seneca Crane
- Gone (2012) - Peter Hood
- Rites of Passage (2012) - Benny
- Underworld Awakening (2012) - Antigen Scientist
- Tilda (2011) - TV Movie
- After-School Special (2011) - Man
- There Be Dragons (2011) - Manolo Torres
- Jonah Hex (2010) - Adleman Lusk
- The Tomb (2009) - Jonathan
- The Greims (Short) (2009) - Donnie Greims
- Dolan’s Cadillac (2009) - Robinson
- The Last Word (2008) - Evan
- P2 (2007) - Thomas
- The Ungodly (2007) - Mickey Gravatsi
- Weirdsville (2007) - Royce
- Ghost Rider (2007) - Black Heart
- The Game of Their Lives (2005) - Walter Bahr
- The Four Feathers (2002) - Jack Durrance
- Soul Survivors (2001) - Matt
- The Claim (2000) - Donald Dalglish
- The White River Kid (1999) - White River Kid
- American Beauty (1999) - Ricky Fitts
- Beloved (1998) - Schoolteacher’s Nephew
- Three Below Zero (1998) - Julian Flincher
- Serendipity Lane (Short) (1995) - Lonnie